Sunday, March 7, 2010

Disney Kid

I was doing post labs and starting my progress report presentation, while listening to Mulan's soundtrack. Then I got curious what the exact lyrics to I'll Make a Man Out of You are. Now I'm stuck at YouTube, listening to other movies' soundtracks. Oh, I am such a Disney kid. So while I'm still a bit giddy, here are my favorite Disney movies arranged in self-assigned categories.

My favorite non-animated Disney movie would have to be Mary Poppins. I really am happy to see it every time. I don't know how or why Mary Poppins lives on the clouds, but hey it's cool. I tried a lot of things from this movie: pretending to drink medicine that changes color (I had primary complex, so yeah I had a lot of medicine with varying colors), drawing on pavements, and some more.  Julie Andrews was a big hero for me when I was younger, and she still is. But for more contemporary Disney, it has to be Enchanted. More than being an Amy Adams follower and McDreamy afficionado, it was such a fun fun movie. Plus, So Close is an awesome song. Diba?

For the animated movie category, I am very much torn between The Lion King and Tarzan. The Lion King, I think, was one of the first movies I saw in the cinema and it just stuck. I was I was so thrilled when my brothers, especially Miguel, found it as interesting. Only a few years ago did I realize that the story was so much like Hamlet, that it was really a loose adaptation. Oha. As for Tarzan, which was incidentally one of Miguel's favorites as well, I thought the soundtrack did so much for the movie. Not that the Lion King had bad music because it had really good music, but Phil Collins singing such excellent songs is simply hard to beat. Hercules rocks too. Toy Story was good also, but no LSS for me.

Since I'm a girl, there has to be a favorite Disney princess category. It has always been Belle from Beauty and the Beast. Mulan doesn't technically count but even if she did, I think she won't topple over Belle, maybe a tie. I like Belle because she is intelligent, kind, courageous and not a helpless bitch. There isn't as much fiction in the story as well, the beast can may as well be some unfortunate looking guy who turns out to have a good heart and because of that becomes good looking. Hahaha.

These are really old school choices, I know, but these movies are etched in my childhood. They told such great stories and they really hit the spot. Some say that the golden age of Disney films was from The Little Mermaid up to Tarzan, and it's true. I was already born when almost all these films were released, and I believe I saw them all. I was among the target audience of these movies and I must say they didn't disappoint. Most of my choices come with wonderful soundtracks, which is such a big thing when watching a movie. It sets the mood, enhances scenes, and becomes your LSS after watching the movie.

Okay, now that I've prattled away my thoughts, I need to get back to work. This Disney kid needs to go the distance. Progress report tomorrow~

---
Images taken from the web

1 comment:

Prozac said...

Beauty and the Beast. Cool.