Thursday, November 8, 2012

Welcome To The Real World

Hello, still here. I have been busy and not so busy, but I've not made time to write anything down. Not that I had much to blog about, it's just been work and rest and work and rest. 

Today, a world leader has been reelected. I was monitoring the exit polls up to sometime past 11am when Obama was projected to win. And so the lunchtime topic was fairly political, and if you know me I love a good dose of political jibber jabber.

It's just that this time, I was in a circle wherein at least a couple of standpoints were completely opposite of mine. I can see that they truly believe in their arguments about this and that that I just sat silent knowing that if I speak up I'll just get into an argument I am not willing to lose. I know everyone's opinion varies, and I have friends who support candidates or policies other than my own, but good Yoda how extremely polar our views are.

But in the end, I can see that this difference in political stance stems from our difference in religious convictions. Before anything else, what ever happened to the segregation between church and state? There really are people whose votes are swayed by religion, why am I still surprised? Sure the church still has power in a number of communities, but really is it that difficult to vote for someone who is not a Christian or a member of your faith? Is it too much to ask for equality and choice that one must be cast off his/ her religion? It does make sense that if your religion believes in XYZ and you believe in the opposite of Z you must not me really a believer of that religion, but are we that one dimensional and are religions that black and white? I have so may issues with their statements my mind gets so wired whenever I think about it.

With this I also realized, how should one vote? Should one cast his vote to someone he sees eye to eye with, or to someone who just has better capacity to get the job done? I would compare this to an HR staff weighing a candidate's interview vs his actual resume and what would be more significant, but since I'm nowhere near a career in HR I'm just making an assumption.

I am my own blend of conservative and liberal, but after that lunch I've never felt more liberal. I am all for unity and equality and choice, I feel that I would never vote for anyone who contradicts that or be really friends with someone who doesn't support those similarly as I do. While that lunch discussion wasn't as political as I originally thought, it was eye opening with regards to what others give importance to. People make choices based on a number of core principles that they hold and deem applicable to the situation, and it really does vary sometime by a mile sometimes by a dimension. I guess such is the fact of life: different people, different truths.

No comments: